Love Your Enemies
27 “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.
32 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.
- there are different people than us
- There are people who are opposed to us
- We are to love all humanity
- Are you going to take Jesus seriously?
- Focus on the character of God
- Understand your own relation to God
- How can you love your enemies? Understand you were an enemy of God at one time.
- Dispense God’s love regardless of what you feel
Luke 15:1-10 Parable of the Lost Sheep
1 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
3 So he told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
The Parable of the Lost Coin
8 “Or what woman, having ten silver coins,[a] if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ 10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
- 3:09 Most of us don't want to be reckless, but God is asking us to be reckless with the ones in our path
- 5:11 God pursues the lost. God is a reckless lover of people
- 6:50 God likens the Shepard to be reckless in pursuing the one over the 99
- 7:50 God celebrates the one who recklessly chases the one who is doing the work of Christ
- 9:19 the "Lost" is separated from God
- 14:24 What do I do when I notice the one? You can listen to last weeks message for more information.
- Pray for an opportunity
- Engage with people around you
- How can I pray for you?
- What is your stress level this week?
- Followup. This isn't a one and done deal
- 19:30 Stories of someone engaging the one
- 25:10 Take the time to ask the question with those around you
- 0:00 Forbes Magazine - Are you being true to your values?
- 2:13 Who do you say Jesus is? The biggest question you will ever answer.
- 2:42 Is this for the fame and claim of Jesus Christ?
- Jesus directs our calendars. Many of our holidays come from Jesus
- There has been more bloodshed over the name of Jesus than any other leader.
- 5:00 It's also for the claim that Jesus made that no one comes to the father except through me.
- 6:30 We need to answer the question as our reality intersects with Jesus. We cannot sustain ourselves.
- Science takes us to a point, but everyone dies.
- Jesus states that he has the poser to solve man's greatest dilema
- 8:28 Luke 9
Peter Confesses Jesus as the Christ
18 Now it happened that as he was praying alone, the disciples were with him. And he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” 19 And they answered, “John the Baptist. But others say, Elijah, and others, that one of the prophets of old has risen.” 20 Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” And Peter answered, “The Christ of God.”
Jesus Foretells His Death
21 And he strictly charged and commanded them to tell this to no one, 22 saying, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.”
Take Up Your Cross and Follow Jesus
23 And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”
11:30 Jesus actually has a 90% approval rating right now in our country.
13:29 C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity states we either need to take Jesus at his word or run away from him completely.
14:30 Realize that Jesus Christ is not a first and last name. Christ means Messiah.
15:10 This coming week start thinking of Jesus as the Messiah. The one who is going to make everything right.
- 17:41 God sent the Messiah to overcome death and sin, not to overthrow the government which was the predominant view in Jesus's day.
- 18:40 Jesus came to give life not to destroy life.
- 19:42 So this begs the question, who or what is your Messiah?
- For some of you it's your career
- Or could it be your outward appearance
- Everyone's got a messiah, someone or something giving them purpose
- 21:15 Know that what ever your messiah/currency outside of Jesus Christ cannot be cashed in or it will run out during your life.
- 22:53 So what does it mean for you if Jesus is your Messiah?
- 25:04 If Jesus is your Messiah it's not about you, it's about Jesus.
- 25:30 It's not about your comfort, it's about your Glory.
- 26:55 Jesus is saying, lay yourself down. It's about me.
- 27:36 If Jesus is your Messiah, it's not about you.
- It may mean that you will have to give up something of comfort
- You may have to set aside the good thing to focus on the God thing
- 29:34 There is some bad news. v 26
- For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
- There's a stern warning of reality of what happens if Jesus is not our Messiah?
- 30:40 Will you confess that Jesus is your Messiah?
- 0:00 story of the fear of the loose mouse in the house
- 1:00 All of us have lost something in our life
- 1:20 Luke 15 Pursuing someone or something.
- In this passage, the grumbling religious leaders are pursuing Jesus
- Jesus is trying to make the point to these leaders that he is pursuing people that are lost
- 5:30 God has a passion to pursue people who are lost
- 6:00 God celebrates when one comes back to God
- 6:40 Jesus makes it clear that he throws a party when one comes to Christ
- 8:50 The question this morning is does our passion align with God's passion?
- 10:00 This next week, saturate yourself with the vision of God.
- Return to a Bible verse of John 3:16. Don't complicate the meaning
- 11:34 The second thing is that does your/our giving reflect the heart of God?
- 13:18 Does your checkbook reflect that it supports evangelism. Pray about it
- 13:57 Pray for the laborers to share the message
Timeline of Message
- 1:30 The Importance of Joy
- 2:00 The disciples and the power given to them
- 3:30 Jesus gives a reminder to not rejoice in the success of your ministry
- 4:00 Rejoice that your names are written in the book of heaven
- 5:00 It's okay to want to be joyful
- 5:30 Psalm 16 - God is in the Joy business
- 7:00 John 17:13 God wants us to have his Joy
- 8:00 Phil 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice
- 10:00 Hebrews 12:2 "For the Joy that was set before him, He endured the cross."
- 12:00 Comparison robs us of our Joy
- 12:20 We are in the top 5% of wealth in the world
- 13:50 We are constantly in the comparison trap whether in suffering or when things are going well
- 15:10 Your comfort is robing you of Joy
- 15:30 If you are comfortable you are not relying on God
- 17:30 Story of Munchies
- 18:20 Where would Jesus have you go? Have your kids go?
- 20:30 A temporary perspective will rob you of your joy
- 20:25 Do you have a temporary or eternal perspective?
- 21:10 What are you a consistent presence of?
- 24:00 Luke 10 Go spread the Word to all people
- 25:50 You and I would not be here today if others had not spread the Word of God
- 27:00 Luke 10:4 The method of spreading the Word of God
- 32:00 Our battle is not against flesh and blood it is against Satan
- 33:15 We need to change our perspective that we have an opportunity to share the Word
- 33:30 Story of brushing teeth
- 35:00 We got to be all in because of what is at stake
- 35:45 Your circumstance is temporary because your eternity is fixed
- 36:00 We rejoice because our name is in the book of heaven