Colossians 3:12-17 English Standard Version (ESV)
12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Luke 15:1-10 Parable of the Lost Sheep
- 1:44 When you start helping others, sometimes you begin to realize how unhealthy we are.
- 3:30 What's coming out every single day when you are interacting with others?
- 4:03 What does it mean to be healthy?
- It doesn't mean perfection
- 5:30 God elevates humanity different than other created things. We are a reflection of him.
- 8:55 To be healthy, is to love God with our whole being.
- 10:44 Two things rob us of our health
- At some point in your life, you are hurt by someone or something. We end up having bitterness. This leads to separation from others and God as we know it does not match with God. However, at the heart of the Lord's prayer is forgiveness.
- Many of struggle with never dealing with our grief. Often we just try to replace it with something else.
- 22:47 How do we pursue health?
- Meditation - To meditate is to reflect and remember the Word of God. Do you know the promises? Remember the truth.
- Confession - The purpose of confession - It's to be reminded of what he has done.
- When is the last time you confessed a sin to someone else?
- We confess to remind us that Jesus forgives you
- Celebration - Christians have more to celebrate than anyone else. Christians are horrible at this. We have to celebrate more. When we do not celebrate, we tell God this is not enough.
- Which habit do you need to begin with?
- 37:00 Are you willing to start some new habits? Are you willing to improve your health?
Scripture Passage Matthew 18:21-35
21 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times.
23 “Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants.[a] 24 When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents.[b] 25 And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 So the servant[c] fell on his knees, imploring him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.’ 27 And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. 28 But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii,[d] and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay what you owe.’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you.’ 30 He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. 31 When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. 32 Then his master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ 34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers,[e] until he should pay all his debt.35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”
Found at Bible Gateway
Timeline of Message
- 0:05 What are the top 5 things to spill in your car?
- 1:30 What do we do when there is bad "spill" in your life?
- 2:35 How do we experience peace within our spill?
- 3:00 If we do not contain it, things lead to bitterness and even wishing malice towards others.
- 3:50 Ironically the person who wronged you becomes consuming and they becomeyour god just do towards your efforts, attention and energy.
- 5:30 Satan loves to lead us to this point as we are consumed with bitterness
- 6:45 Have you ever noticed how anger and malice becomes all consuming and will start to spread all across our lives?
- 7:20 So how should we respond when the "spill" comes or when someone mistreats you?
- 9:00 You have to forgive when someone sins against you.
- 9:47 The way of Jesus is to forgive. Forgive the one who has hurt you.
- 10:15 Forgiveness is releasing the punishment for what someone deserves.
- 11:41 Jesus wants us to forgive. He wants us to release them of the penalty.
- 12:10 Notice he says release not "remember".
- 13:00 It's hard to forget, so please notice God says to release/ to forgive the wrongdoing
- 13:50 Don't feel guilty for remembering.
- 15:00 Are we going to reflect God by the way we treat others?
- 16:00 Story of Rich and his son and sharing a pickle
- 17:30 Realize that we are representing Christ in our everyday lives. We are reflecting the character of God. Does your life reflect God's forgiveness?
- 20:00 Are we consistently sharing with others what has been shared with us? Are we consistently forgiving others as Christ has forgiven us?
- 22:45 Forgiveness is not an affirmation of bad behavior. Instead, it is controlling your response. You can not control what that other person has done.
- 25:00 Forgiveness cannot control the behavior of the individual.
- 25:30 Forgiveness is not putting you in the exact same spot to be hurt again.
- 26:15 Forgiveness does not mean that your relationship will be back to normal. This is where the church comes in, getting affirmation from an encouraging body of believers.
- 28:40 God commands us to forgive not forget.
- Practical Application
- Pray "God bless those that harm you"
- Acknowledge the hurt, don't stuff the hurt. Acknowledge the hurt to someone.
- We need to saturate ourselves in the Gospel. The good news is that Jesus took your punishment. It reminds us that we have wronged others. Memorize Gospel related verses.
- Speak positive things to or about the person who wronged you. It fulfills God's law to love your neighbor
- You need to tell someone you are "taking a pass." Let someone know you that you are forgiving to help you in your journey.
- 36:30 We received the best of God thorugh the person of Jesus Christ.
- 37:20 Will you today (forgive) release the wrath that is owed to others as Christ has done for you.