Scripture Passage Galatians 5:16-26
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy,[a] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do[b] such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
Found at Bible Gateway
Timeline of Message
Intro - Story of Rich's first car purchase - Cool vs Weird
4:00 Have we focused on what is cool in our lives instead of looking to the Spirit
- 5:00 Warning against Lawlessness
- 7:00 Walk in the Holy Spirit - Walk under the influence of the Holy Spirit every day
- 7:50 Remember that the Holy Spirit is a person
- 8:30 Be aware of the Holy Spirit and submit to the Holy Spirit
- 9:15 Paul gives us a list of ways to recognize you are walking in the flesh
- v19 Works of the flesh
- sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy,[a] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these
- 11:30 Sometimes we emphasize other things in this list over others, but that is okay. We typically only highlight the things that come under attack. For example: there is no legislation against Jealousy, therefore we do not highlight it as much.
- 12:50 As Christians we can not give ground because of v21 we will not inherit the Kingdom of God
- 16:50 Paul sets up a second list of what are the fruits of the Spirit
- 17:50 Want to know if the fruits of the Spirit are in your life... ask someone if they think they are?
- 18:30 Life is found in following the Holy Spirit
- 19:00 Here are 4 ways to follow the Holy Spirit
- 19:20 #1 Acknowledge the Holy Spirit
- 20:07 #2 Put yourself in a position for the Holy Spirit to work
- Don't be passive.. there is personal responsibility here
- We need to put ourselves in a position to do His work
- Do we give the Holy Spirit space to work
- Reading your Bible puts yourself in a position for the Holy Spirit to work
- 24:50 #3 You need to act on promptings
- Follow the promptings
- Gossip starts to enter the conversation, follow the prompting to leave
- If the Holy Spirit gives you a prompting to encourage someone .. do it
- Follow the promptings
- 27:00 #4 By knowing the Character of God
- The Law of God gives us insight into the heart of God to allow us to understand when promptings are from the Holy Spirit vs the World
- 28:50 Do you have a vibrant spiritual life?
- 29:05 Are you living in apathy? You just don't care.
- 29:45 Our apathy affects our decision making and our character
- 30:00 Its time to look outside myself to Holy Spirit for new life
- 30:25 Some of us are focused on our performance... looking like we are doing the right thing
- 31:10 How do you know you are in this category?
- Are you quick to buy the next great thing?
- True spirituality brings contentment
- 31:58 No one knows the true stress or brings you true joy in your life
- True spirituality brings meaningful relationships in your life
- 33:00 So when it comes to you spiritual well being, are you going to go for the cool and the in or the weird where true life is found?